I need to find an exit for my shares when I am not around.
A well-constructed plan is essential to protect the value of the business and provide cash for the family in the event there is a major disruption in the business due to a co-owner’s death, disability, retirement or serious major illness or any other event that jeopardizes the continuity of the business.
- If a co-owner dies today, can you work with his family to run the business?
- Will the co-owner’s family members know how to run the business with you?
- Can they work well with you?
- Would your beneficiaries be able to get a fair price?
- Do you have the funds to buy out the co-owner’s shares/interests from the family members when there is no pre-agreed price in a written agreement?
- Can the shares/interests you are purchasing be transferred quickly to you?
Problems Without Business Protection Plan
Often these are:-
- A new partnership is created due to the inheritance of the shares/interest by inexperienced heirs. Chances are this new partnership may fail.
- There is no pre-agreed price for any sale to take place when the heirs decide to sell to the other co-owners. As a result, it may take years to settle a transaction price.
- Some of the unqualified heirs may insist on being directors of the company and be active in running the business. This may lead to serious disruptions and disputes within management.
- It is possible that the co-owners may decide to abandon the business and start their own due to disputes with the heirs.
- Loss of profits and uncertainty about the business future success.
After all your hard work in building your business, you need to avoid such problems.
THE SOLUTION – BUY-SELL TRUST
Our Buy-Sell Trust ensures a smooth transition of the business to the other co-owner(s) and the value of your share of the business is protected against an event such as:-
- Ill health
- Loss of professional license
- Deadlock between co-owners
Our Buy-Sell Trust consists of:-
- Buy-Sell or Cross Option Agreement: covering the terms of the sale and purchase including the agreed value or formula, events triggering a sale, funding and mode of payment.
- Power of Attorney: authorizing us, Rockwills Trustee, to transfer the shares/interests to the other co-owner(s) upon the occurrence of the agreed events that trigger a sale.
- Trust Deed by the co-owners: instructions to Rockwills Trustee regarding the periodical distribution of the sale proceeds to prevent these being misspent by the beneficiaries.
- Life insurance policy: as the main funding mechanism to purchase the shares/interest of the outgoing co-owner.
BENEFITS OF BUY-SELL TRUST
You determine the selling price for your shares that is agreed upon with your partners, so your beneficiaries will receive a fair value in proceeds.
Your business can carry on without issue as your Buy-Sell Trust prevents inexperienced individuals from getting involved. You are assured that we will carry out our Trustee duties according to your expressed wishes.
Taking out a life insurance policy will ensure that the buyer(s) of your shares will have the necessary funds to pay for them when the time comes.
It is good to know that we are completely impartial and professional in carrying out our duties, safeguarding the interests of your beneficiaries and partners at all times.
Cash flow is important to maintain the lifestyle of your beneficiaries. Buy-Sell Trust ensures that your business shares are easily converted into cash, with timely payments to your loved ones according to your written instruction.
" Call Rockwills Service Centre today, Protect your family and leave a legacy of love and care. "